Thursday 5 March 2015

Through the window

As the evening descended, a meeting came to order in a large room of a school. Various people spoke of this and that in turn, while my attention wandered to a nearby window. It was shaped in a most peculiar way, sort of oblong. Narrow across the top and long down the sides.
     Looking through this window was framed a wondrous site that fair took my breath away momentarily. The sun looked comfortable as it settled almost due west - rosy pink, haloed by a soft yellow, with a tree silhouetted close but not at all in perfect symmetry.
      I needed my camera and something to mount it on, so as I could capture what the eye was seeing and heart feeling. It took a very long time for the scene to change and the more it lingered, the more I felt the need to photograph it in the hope of recording this special scene to remember.
     My gaze kept returning every so often to catch another glimpse of what was unfolding through the window, as the setting sun danced around the room, flickering gently in a warm glow, enhancing the walls with hues of pink and yellow dappled light, before almost turning to a deep mellow red, causing my breathing to lighten with its energy.
     I'd lost all manner of control when it came to concentrating on the meeting, with more beautiful drama continuing outside in the distance. Its magical softness of light lingered, but then slowly faded as the sun was losing its vibrancy, dipping into the far horizon, causing the scene to change to one of deep blue, clouds edged in a tint of silver - before it was gone.
     Thoughts reluctantly returned to the meeting, almost resulting in a sadness that I wasn't able to capture this moment in my camera, small as it was, but did so in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment